Computer Lab Use Rules and Procedures
Welcome to the Otsego County Library's Public Access Computer Lab. To
maximize computer availability, and to insure fair accessibility for
all, please follow these rules and procedures.
1. You'll need a current Otsego County Library card. We'll hold your
library card while you use the computer. If you are not a county
resident and are not eligible to receive a card we must have
identification, such as a valid driver's license.
2. You will be assigned to a specific workstation. If you have
difficulties with the computer, please ask for help at the desk. Do not
move to another computer.
3. The library adheres to federal law by filtering all Internet content.
Patrons over 18 can request for the filter to be disabled on their
assigned workstation. Patrons under 18 may request a web site that has
been blocked to be reevaluated and be taken from the blocked list. The
process of evaluating a blocked site may not take place immediately.
4. Otsego County Library provides the computers in the lab for the
purpose of doing research, word processing, and office applications.
They are not to be used for games, party or chat sessions. Using the
computers for the purpose of personal correspondence (email) is
permitted. However, priority will be given to patrons who want to do
research or use office applications.
5. There is a 1 hour limit on the workstations when others are waiting;
a two-hour limit per person per day. Failure to exit in a timely manner
and return computer pass will result in loss of privileges.
6. Please, no more than two people at the computer at a time. Our space
7. You may not use your own software programs on the computer. This will
help prevent computer viruses that are common on public computers.
8. You may bring your own disk or flash (USB) drive or purchase a disk at
the circulation desk if you wish to save or download files. No files are
to be saved on the computer. The Library is not responsible for any loss
or damage to personal disks or flash (USB) drives when downloading.
9. A printer is available for printouts. Prints are $.10 per page.
Please pay for prints at the circulation desk. Printing must be black on
white background. You are required to pay for everything that you print.
10. To use a computer, you must have a general understanding of
computers and Windows applications. The library staff does not have time
to train you in using these programs. Free classes are provided
periodically by the library. Because of library scheduling, Internet
trained staff may not always be available.
11. Computing resources may only be used for legal purposes. Examples of
unacceptable purposes include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Harassment of other users or library staff;
• Libeling or slandering other users;
• Destruction of or damage to equipment, software or data belonging to
the Library or other users;
• Disruption or unauthorized monitoring of electronic communications;
• Unauthorized copying of copyright-protected material.
12. The Otsego County Library is a Merit Affiliate. Therefore, patrons
using the computers must follow the MichNet Acceptable Use Policies, The
Otsego County Library Internet Use Policy and the Computer Lab Use Rules
and Procedures which are posted in the Lab. By registering to use a
computer, you are agreeing to read and abide by these policies and
rules. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the loss of your
Revised and adopted July 19, 2005